When it comes to vegetables my Dad is picky.
While I love picking random vegetables in the grocery store to try each week he sticks to the ones he knows. Since being home I have been trying to get him to eat more vegetables. He is a pretty good eater overall but I know he could benefit from a little extra plant in his life. So I asked him what vegetables he WILL eat, and decided to try to work with that.
Starting with fresh summer corn! Bell peppers are another one he is game for. He is also a pretty big Chipotle fan so this dish was born to show him:
1. Vegetables can be delicious and easy to prepare.
2. He doesn’t need to go to Chipotle to get a yummy stuffed burrito. He can make all the same stuff at home!
- 3 husked corn ears*
- 3 medium bell peppers chopped
- Handful fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- Earth Balance Garlic and Herb Culinary Spread or olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- dash of salt and pepper
- Bring a big pot of water with enough water to cover the corn to a boil.
- Add husked corn ears and bring the water back to a boil on high heat about 4 minutes.
- As soon as water comes to a boil again remove the corn ears from the water.
- When corn ears cool cut corn from the cob.
- Heat Earth Balance or olive oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Add bell peppers and allow to cook until tender about 10 minutes.
- Add corn, onion, cilantro and spices.
- Stir, cover and let cook over low heat for 10 more minutes.
- *You can also use about 2 cups frozen corn.
I also prepared some brown rice, black beans and avocado. My dad opted for a burrito but my mom and I had a burrito bowl. Spinach, brown rice, black beans, veggie sauté, avocado, fresh cilantro and some salsa!
Yum! This is one even your pickiest of eaters will enjoy.
Question today: picky eaters in your family? Do you try to please them or let them fend for themselves?Keep in touch with me:
Twitter -> @healthyregards
Pinterest -> healthyregards
Instagram – > healthyregardshayley
Bloglovin’ -> healthyregardshayley