Happy New Year! I hope the 2nd day of 2017 has you feeling all sorts of motivated and excited for the year ahead.
I have never been particularly keen on new years resolutions but after a few years of feeling held back in the pursuit of some of my biggest goals, I am happy to jump on the band wagon date to renew focus and look ahead with anticipation for big things this year.
And with that…
On the first day of 2017 I dove head first into my goal of getting to a start line healthy and confident.
After 4 years away I am officially signed up to toe the line again. Hitting that registration button didn’t come without fear. I went through the whole registration process 3 times before I finally put in my credit card information, took a deep breath and hit “Register”.
So why am I so scared?
- I am scared because in the back of my mind I have wanted this for the past 3 years and every year an injury has popped up that has kept me from racing. It has been heartbreaking and how can I be sure I will stay healthy this year?
- I am scared because in 2013 I was in the best shape of my life when I raced both of the races I want to do again this year. I fear that I will not live up to my internal expectations to do better than I did before.
- I am scared because fear is not a default setting for me. I am scared because I am scared.
I’ve come to the conclusion that I can’t keep looking back. This is where all my fear is coming from. I can’t possibly be the best I can be today if I keep comparing myself to who I was yesterday, a week ago, a month ago… years ago! The only way I can move forward is to start where I am at. As an athlete I am committing to training where I am at. No more looking back, no more comparison to times, weights or training schedules. I’m structuring my training as though I am building from the ground up. I’m choosing to move forward with anticipation of discovering what this new year holds.
I’ll be sharing my weekly training, highs, lows and hopefully some other fun stuff here if you’d like to follow along.
- Today I am starting where I am at with a rest day. In my former athletic life I would go weeks without a rest day. While that was OK then, it took me months and months of weekly rest days to get to that point. And so today I rest because I know my body needs it. And I will keep taking weekly rest days because that is where I am at right now.
- Today I am starting where I am at by bringing some focus back to my daily nutrition. While I consistently eat fairly well, I don’t feel nearly as motivated with nutrition when I am not “in training”. It is not something I plan on doing forever, but in order to accomplish this goal I am recording my daily nutrition for the next couple weeks. For me, I know that this is a good way to take note of where I am doing well and what I need to work on by bringing some extra attention back to this area.
Whatever your goals may be, what is one tangible way that you can start where you are at today? Any other fun new years “resolutions” to share?
Keep in touch with me:
Twitter -> @healthyregards
Pinterest -> healthyregards
Instagram – > healthyregardshayley
Bloglovin’ -> healthyregardshayley